Home Premier Designers Chanel

Help! Authentic Chanel but serial number not found in Chanel's system

POST A REPLY

Dec 11, 2010, 5:27am   #1
b
IShopThereforeIAm
Hi all,

I brought my Chanel bag to Chanel for repairs. The SA checked the serial number and checked it in Chanel's computer system. She came back and said she can't find the number in the system. She asked if I have proof of purchase. I said no, the bag is old and I believe from 1997, so there is no more receipt. She also said that she has not seen the gold sticker with date before and that it must be a bag from another country. I said the bag is from Japan. She then asked if I have the authenticity card. I said I do, but I did not bring it (which is a true statement). The SA told me to come back together with the authenticity card as the card will have some information which she can check to identify the bag. I replied wouldn't the card just show the same number as in the sticker. She said there will be more information there. (I checked the authenticity card just now, and I don't see any other number or code.)

The SA did NOT say that the bag is fake. I think she was being careful not to tell me the bag is fake. She said that she just needs specific information on the bag so that she is sure that the correct material will be used or repairs will be made on the bag. Overall, the SA was kind, but of course, I was shocked and a bit humiliated that I could not have my bag repaired without proof of purchase!

Now my question is, IS IT POSSIBLE THAT AN OLD AUTHENTIC CHANEL BAG'S SERIAL NUMBER IS NO LONGER IN CHANEL'S SYSTEM?

(P.S. The bag is a tote bag which is no longer being sold. Aside from the serial number sticker, it has a gold sticker starting 97 -- which I suppose means 1997. The bag was bought from a reputable re-seller who is a member of Malleries and based in Japan.

How do I know that the bag is authentic? First, it was authenticated by our Chanel authenticators. Second, after purchasing the bag, I actually brought the bag to another Chanel store and in the guise of asking questions on how to clean the bag, the SA actually touched, held, wiped/cleaned the bag and gave me tips on how to clean and care for it. She also said my bag is lovely! Third, the seller is a reputable seller.)
Last edited Dec 11, 2010 at 5:30am.
Dec 11, 2010, 6:21am   #2
p
I thought Chanel did not keep track... Good luck figuring out.
Originally Posted by bagerrific
Hi all,

I brought my Chanel bag to Chanel for repairs. The SA checked the serial number and checked it in Chanel's computer system. She came back and said she can't find the number in the system. She asked if I have proof of purchase. I said no, the bag is old and I believe from 1997, so there is no more receipt. She also said that she has not seen the gold sticker with date before and that it must be a bag from another country. I said the bag is from Japan. She then asked if I have the authenticity card. I said I do, but I did not bring it (which is a true statement). The SA told me to come back together with the authenticity card as the card will have some information which she can check to identify the bag. I replied wouldn't the card just show the same number as in the sticker. She said there will be more information there. (I checked the authenticity card just now, and I don't see any other number or code.)

The SA did NOT say that the bag is fake. I think she was being careful not to tell me the bag is fake. She said that she just needs specific information on the bag so that she is sure that the correct material will be used or repairs will be made on the bag. Overall, the SA was kind, but of course, I was shocked and a bit humiliated that I could not have my bag repaired without proof of purchase!

Now my question is, IS IT POSSIBLE THAT AN OLD AUTHENTIC CHANEL BAG'S SERIAL NUMBER IS NO LONGER IN CHANEL'S SYSTEM?

(P.S. The bag is a tote bag which is no longer being sold. Aside from the serial number sticker, it has a gold sticker starting 97 -- which I suppose means 1997. The bag was bought from a reputable re-seller who is a member of Malleries and based in Japan.

How do I know that the bag is authentic? First, it was authenticated by our Chanel authenticators. Second, after purchasing the bag, I actually brought the bag to another Chanel store and in the guise of asking questions on how to clean the bag, the SA actually touched, held, wiped/cleaned the bag and gave me tips on how to clean and care for it. She also said my bag is lovely! Third, the seller is a reputable seller.)
Dec 11, 2010, 10:06am   #3
Mon for short
What country are you located in? In the U.S. there is no tracking system for serial numbers. There is nothing on the authenticity card that will tell her anything about the bag except to match it to the hologram sticker in the bag.
Dec 11, 2010, 10:59am   #4
That is weird. I went in to the scp boutique last week for the spa treatment of my 2001 white m/l. The SA who has vision problems asked me to read the numbers in the hologram sticker while she typed it in her computer. No authenticity card needed.

I hope things will turn out ok op.
Dec 11, 2010, 3:25pm   #5
b
IShopThereforeIAm
Originally Posted by Smoothoprter
What country are you located in? In the U.S. there is no tracking system for serial numbers. There is nothing on the authenticity card that will tell her anything about the bag except to match it to the hologram sticker in the bag.
I'm in Australia right now. :(
Dec 11, 2010, 3:32pm   #6
b
IShopThereforeIAm
Originally Posted by Bevyofpurses
That is weird. I went in to the scp boutique last week for the spa treatment of my 2001 white m/l. The SA who has vision problems asked me to read the numbers in the hologram sticker while she typed it in her computer. No authenticity card needed.

I hope things will turn out ok op.
Yes, I read somewhere in tPF that a receipt or an authenticity card is not required when requesting for repairs because the Chanel repairer will be able to tell if it is fake or not, that is why I did not even think of bringing the authenticity card.

And as confirmed by Smoothoprter above, "There is nothing on the authenticity card that will tell her anything about the bag except to match it to the hologram sticker in the bag."
Dec 11, 2010, 3:49pm   #7
Susie
I obtained the following link from this forum? Do you think the SA wanted to see the cards for THIS reason? Perhaps the fonts on the card could tell her (or HQ) if this a counterfeit?

http://deluxemall.com/hall-shame/190...-own-risk.html
Dec 11, 2010, 4:22pm   #8
Hi bagerrific, which boutique and SA did you take your bag to? I'm from Sydney and know that the SAs in the Castlereagh boutique are pretty good. I've had bags repaired there before.

The SAs don't confirm authenticity by checking the hologram sticker number or authenticity card number against their computer system. As mon said above, Chanel doesn't do that. The SAs can check the appearance of the sticker & card (eg font, first two digits against style of bag) to determine authenticity though.
Dec 11, 2010, 5:00pm   #9
b
IShopThereforeIAm
Originally Posted by regeens
Hi bagerrific, which boutique and SA did you take your bag to? I'm from Sydney and know that the SAs in the Castlereagh boutique are pretty good. I've had bags repaired there before.

The SAs don't confirm authenticity by checking the hologram sticker number or authenticity card number against their computer system. As mon said above, Chanel doesn't do that. The SAs can check the appearance of the sticker & card (eg font, first two digits against style of bag) to determine authenticity though.
Chadstone in VIC. I'll bring it to Collins next time. Hopefully, the SAs there know better!
Dec 13, 2010, 4:28am   #10
b
IShopThereforeIAm
Just an update - I went to another Chanel Boutique. The first thing the SA asked again was the receipt/proof of purchase. I again said i don't have it, but I have the Authenticity Card. She checked the hologram sticker. I then gave her the card and she took it somewhere. She was away with my card for some time. I don't know what she did with it. When she came back she explained how long it will take to repair, repair fee, etc and then issued me a receipt.

This experience makes me not want to buy again from a re-seller. It seems that Chanel (at least this part of the world) wants proof of purchase and if there is none, you better make sure you have the authenticity card. Otherwise, Chanel won't repair it!
Dec 13, 2010, 7:59am   #11
Mon for short
Originally Posted by bagerrific
Just an update - I went to another Chanel Boutique. The first thing the SA asked again was the receipt/proof of purchase. I again said i don't have it, but I have the Authenticity Card. She checked the hologram sticker. I then gave her the card and she took it somewhere. She was away with my card for some time. I don't know what she did with it. When she came back she explained how long it will take to repair, repair fee, etc and then issued me a receipt.

This experience makes me not want to buy again from a re-seller. It seems that Chanel (at least this part of the world) wants proof of purchase and if there is none, you better make sure you have the authenticity card. Otherwise, Chanel won't repair it!
So odd.
Dec 13, 2010, 8:46am   #12
Susie
I don't think it's odd based on that link I provided above. There are a plethora of super fakes out there which tells me that Chanel has been duped one too many times; now they are pulling out all of the stops to protect their finances.
Dec 13, 2010, 9:17am   #13
a
In the US they don't require the authenticity card, and the authenticity sticker could be ripped out and they'll still repair the bag. They can tell if it's fake or not at the repair center by examining the bag.
Dec 13, 2010, 10:16am   #14
Susie
Originally Posted by amyamoure
In the US they don't require the authenticity card, and the authenticity sticker could be ripped out and they'll still repair the bag. They can tell if it's fake or not at the repair center by examining the bag.
But will there come a time (like in Europe) that this will not be the case here in the U.S. because of the increase in fraud. Only time will tell.
Dec 13, 2010, 11:45am   #15
Mon for short
Originally Posted by susieserb
I don't think it's odd based on that link I provided above. There are a plethora of super fakes out there which tells me that Chanel has been duped one too many times; now they are pulling out all of the stops to protect their finances.
The counterfeiters aren't THAT good yet. It might be a little harder to tell by pictures, but when examined in person it's obvious when a bag is fake.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Premier Designers Chanel