Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Cash tip for massage therapist?

POST A REPLY

Dec 3, 2008, 12:30am   #1
natalie1885
♥BALS♥LVs♥RMs♥
Hi all,

If any of you have gone to a massage therapist in a chiropractor or accupuncture office/clinic, have you or do you leave a tip for your massage therapist or do you just pay the rate they charge?

For instance if they charge $60/per 30 minute massage, do you tip them & how much??

Thanks in advance!
Dec 3, 2008, 12:46am   #2
<3juicy
I used to be a receptionist for a massage therapy place and it was about 50/50 of who would and wouldn't tip. People usually left from 10-20%. HTH
Dec 3, 2008, 12:54am   #3
natalie1885
♥BALS♥LVs♥RMs♥
^ooooh, thank you thank you thank youuuuu!!!! that definitely helps!
i'm going to be going to this place a lot for chiropractic/accupuncture, so i don't want to be embarassed not doing what you're supposed to, you know?
Dec 3, 2008, 1:00am   #4
claireZk
^ When I had a chiropractic massage done I didn't tip. The place was like a doctor's office, so it just seemed weird. When I've had them done at spas, I've given 20%
Dec 3, 2008, 1:03am   #5
natalie1885
♥BALS♥LVs♥RMs♥
^thanks! that's good info. to weigh out too. the place i go to is pretty much a natural cure doctor office type place...hmmmmmm
i'll def. have to think of that too.
Dec 3, 2008, 1:51am   #6
Bri 333
SCP Addict
^^^I have massages at a chiropractors office, a massage therapists office, and sometimes a spa. Usually I tip 10% at the first 2 mentioned and 20% at the spa. I think they are used to getting bigger tips there and it would look weird to only do 10%. I would still tip at a doctors office especially if you find out they are paying for the space. That is usually how it works.
Dec 3, 2008, 2:34am   #7
d
dbtbandit67
i have had acupuncture treatment several times at my school and i see a chiropractor regularly. i havent had any massage treatment yet. in regards to chiro..

tipping is not something i would think of. i am a very generous tipper in restaurants, hotel services, valet parking, etc. but i dont think a chiro is someone that would really need a tip

i have talked to some waitresses that said they could not survive without their tips. and i do tip them generously. however, chiropractic services are very expensive, and they make a comfortable living for the service they provide. and this is information i've gathered from the conversations/experience i have had with the chiro's at school. it'd make even more sense not to tip if your chiro was independent/had their own studio space.

let's put it like this.. if i knew waitresses were earning $30/hr, i would not tip as generously. tipping a chiro, for me, would be like tipping a doctor. not something i'd think of.
Dec 3, 2008, 10:37am   #8
ILuvShopping
★☆★★☆★★☆★
it it were a doctor's office type setting i wouldn't tip.
Dec 3, 2008, 10:45am   #9
lorihmatthews
A taste for the arts
For me,
Spa = 20% tip
Doctor's office = no tip
Dec 3, 2008, 2:27pm   #10
btobias
I am A LCMT and you can definetly tip rather in a dr. office or a spa. Thats how we get paid and we also have to pay a % to the office or spa. you should tip based on how the the therapist treated you and was helpful to your needs. HTH....
Dec 3, 2008, 3:50pm   #11
bagaholic85
in a dr office setting i dont think it would even occur to me to tip. in a spa i tip at least 20, if not 25 for a great job
Oct 19, 2009, 12:17pm   #12
bagnshoofetish
T'is The Season
doctors office setting, no tip.
at a spa, 15 - 20% depending on how good the massage was.
Oct 19, 2009, 3:41pm   #13
ilovepinkhearts
J'aime coeurs roses
Originally Posted by bagnshoofetish
At a spa, 15 - 20% depending on how good the massage was.
ita!
Oct 19, 2009, 11:59pm   #14
titania029
My chiropractor's office recently got a massage therapist. After I had my first session, I quietly whispered to the receptionist if I'm supposed to tip. She smiled and said "no."

At my spa place, I tip $10 to $15 depending on how well I liked the session (hour-long).
Oct 20, 2009, 12:36am   #15
Green Zebra
love to nap
Originally Posted by bagnshoofetish
at a spa, 15 - 20% depending on how good the massage was.

same here
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >