Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

How to treat Dry Leather?

POST A REPLY

Apr 15, 2006, 4:10am   #1
abandonedimages
brian&vanessa :]
The straps on one of my bags is really really dry. . .:sad2: Do you ladies know the best way to go about this? Maybe I should put something on it? I dont have any special leather treatment around. Are there any secret household treatments I can use on it? I'm afraid it's going to start having that cracked look soon here. The leather's color is already starting to fade
Apr 15, 2006, 4:23am   #2
pursegalsf
Handbag Connoisseur
I can't think of anything that you can use around the house. But I know you can use either Appleguard or Shining Monkey. Sorry I'm not much help but I'm sure the ladies here have some answers.
Apr 15, 2006, 4:47am   #3
minicoop
Why don't you try the coach conditioner.
Apr 15, 2006, 4:58am   #4
Faithful
Its still me...
Mulberry do a really excellent leather conditioner
Apr 15, 2006, 1:01pm   #5
maxmara
I would try applegarde leather conditioner.
It really works
http://www.leatherstuff.com/shop/view.php?id=265
Apr 15, 2006, 3:02pm   #6
abandonedimages
brian&vanessa :]
Thanks ladies, guess I have no choice but to buy some conditioner. They sell them in the boutiques right? I want to get Appleguard (thanks for the link maxmara!) because in the Shining Monkey vs. Appleguard thread kathyrose said people use it when their straps start drying out.
Last edited Apr 15, 2006 at 3:10pm.
Apr 15, 2006, 11:13pm   #7
kathyrose
The Bargain Hunter
Originally Posted by abandonedimages
Thanks ladies, guess I have no choice but to buy some conditioner. They sell them in the boutiques right? I want to get Appleguard (thanks for the link maxmara!) because in the Shining Monkey vs. Appleguard thread kathyrose said people use it when their straps start drying out.
Yup, lots of people use Appleguard conditioner after using Magic Eraser on the LV handles cause it dries the handles out. I would say that's a safe bet. Some also said that you can get it at Burlington Coat factory (which may be chheaper too but am not sure).
Apr 15, 2006, 11:23pm   #8
addicted
The Coach conditioner is around $8 at the coach outlets. That stuff is GREAT!
Apr 15, 2006, 11:30pm   #9
Sweetea
Originally Posted by minicoop
Why don't you try the coach conditioner.
I agree with minicoop. I also use coach conditioner to condition my leather bag.
Apr 15, 2006, 11:31pm   #10
Sweetea
And agree with Addicted too!
Apr 16, 2006, 12:45am   #11
Irissy
Balenciaga's lover
Originally Posted by addicted
The Coach conditioner is around $8 at the coach outlets. That stuff is GREAT!
But I heard that Coach leather conditioner will only work on certain leather. They have a list of what kind of bag fabric the conditioner can be used for and what NOT to use on. I suggest only use Coach conditioner for Coach bags but not for other bags.
Apr 16, 2006, 1:01am   #12
kathyrose
The Bargain Hunter
Originally Posted by Irissy
But I heard that Coach leather conditioner will only work on certain leather. They have a list of what kind of bag fabric the conditioner can be used for and what NOT to use on. I suggest only use Coach conditioner for Coach bags but not for other bags.
You just reminded me that my vachetta bags from Coach specifically says NOT to treat it with ANYTHING.
Apr 16, 2006, 2:01am   #13
Sweetea
Originally Posted by Irissy
And the best way is to read the instruction before you use it.
Apr 16, 2006, 10:32am   #14
minicoop
You also shouldn't use the coach conditioner on pebbled leather. The coach website discusses which products you can use on which leathers.

http://www.coach.com/cservice/faq_te....asp?faq_id=39

You can try to figure out which one your leather is most like.
Apr 16, 2006, 10:45am   #15
p
piquedame
just wondering; would it be a good idea to have a special category to share tips on the care and cleaning of bags? as well as on where to go to have something specially cleaned/restored/repaired; special products for cleaning or protecting items; and where to buy them?

clumsy people (like me) would find it most helpful :)
Last edited Apr 16, 2006 at 10:49am.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >