Home Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness

Biking/Cycling vs. Walking. Better exercise?

POST A REPLY

Jun 4, 2010, 9:01am   #1
Pondering Perplexity
Sometimes I walk 2-3 miles a day for a few weeks, then I lose interest and stop. When I walk, I notice it causes some pressure in the ankles, knees and hips.

Recently I pulled a 12 speed bike down out of the garage and started using it again after too many years. Last couple of days, I've ridden 4-5 miles on a flat country road. Can't take hills yet.

Seems like I get the same basic effect from both as far as legs and lungs and other things, so is one any better than the other?
Jun 4, 2010, 9:09am   #2
Sucks at budgeting
Nope...whatever you do to get your heart rate up, is what works. Whether you bike, run, walk, swim...whatever you're more likely to do is what's best. :)

Now, what I will note, walking isn't the most efficient way to burn cals. I'd also look into a new pair of walking/running specific shoes as they might be the reason your experiencing pains. Find a local running shoe store and have them evaluate your gait and recommend a shoe accordingly.
Jun 4, 2010, 9:09am   #3
M
It depends on the speed you are going. Walking at a fast pace and uphill can be more of a workout than just biking on a flat terrain at a slow pace. Biking is a little better on the joints as you are not constantly pounding on them.

Do you wear a heart rate monitor? The best form of exercise is to get your heart rate to a certain level (based on weight) and maintaining it for a period of time.
Jun 4, 2010, 11:31am   #4
No, walking is not significantly better or worse than cycling. It generally does take more miles on a bicycle to equal the miles covered by walking or running, but it seems you have that covered because you already go more miles on the bike.

I cycle quite a bit, and walking or running cannot compare for me. I feel more free on a bike, and I can go for a much longer time. Of course, the cardio isn't usually as intense as running, but if I can go three times as long I am getting as good or better a workout on the bike. I say to do what you enjoy doing, as you will be more likely to keep doing it.
Jun 4, 2010, 11:55am   #5
LVChanelVegasSunnies
Originally Posted by HauteMama

I cycle quite a bit, and walking or running cannot compare for me. I feel more free on a bike, and I can go for a much longer time. Of course, the cardio isn't usually as intense as running, but if I can go three times as long I am getting as good or better a workout on the bike. I say to do what you enjoy doing, as you will be more likely to keep doing it.
Well said. I bike alot too and love it. It's much easier on the joints too.
Jun 4, 2010, 12:00pm   #6
Pondering Perplexity
So maybe alternate days? Walk one, bike another? I have a few hills I can walk up, that I'll never be able to ride up.

No real heart monitor, but I have a watch with something built in that measures heart rate. Normal seems to be in the 70-80 range, I've seen it up around 120 when walking.
Jun 4, 2010, 3:47pm   #7
Gettin my Griff On
I walk every day, but bike 2-3 times per week. I find cycling much more exhilerating because of the faster pace. The terrain (at least around here) is varied so I get variable intensity, which is good. Since I find the bike more fun, I find that I can go for 1.5 to 2 hours without feeling like I'm miserable.

If you spend more time on a bike, you might consider bike shorts and other gear like gloves to make it more comfortable.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Body - Mind - Wellness Health and Fitness