Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Which skincare can't use during Pregnancy?

POST A REPLY

Jul 25, 2008, 11:49am   #1
yobi
Some skincare have harmful ingredients to baby , anyone know?

TIA
Jul 25, 2008, 1:20pm   #2
U
USCgerl
Salicylic acid is one ingredient that is harmful according to my dr. and baby boards. I used neutrogena fash wash for a few months without realizing it contained it!
Jul 25, 2008, 1:49pm   #3
madamelizaking
Loubouholic
Any product containing retina is known to cause defects. You can use topical Salicylic acid but any oral form, like asprin, is a known to harm the fetus.
Here's a better list
http://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-ski...ncy_1490031.bc
Retinoids

These powerful substances, found in some antiaging moisturizers, are lauded for helping reduce wrinkles and improve skin tone. Retinoids are a type of vitamin A that speeds up cell division (quickening your skin's renewal) and prevent skin collagen from breaking down.

But retinoids are one of the skin-care ingredients that experts, including Baumann, recommend that expectant moms stay away from. Some studies have shown that high doses of vitamin A during pregnancy can be harmful to an unborn child. And oral retinoids, such as isotretinoin (Accutane, an acne treatment), are known to cause birth defects.

If you've been using a skin cream that contains a retinoid, don't panic. Retinoids have not been shown to cause problems in their topical form in pregnant women.

"There is no data to show these retinoids ingredients are harmful when used on the skin — doctors are just being extra cautious," explains Baumann.

On the label:
Differin (adapelene)
Retin-A, Renova (tretinoin)
Retinoic acid
Retinol
Retinyl linoleate
Retinyl palmitate
Tazorac and avage (Tazarotene)

Bottom line:
Best to avoid
Salicylic acid

This mild acid is used to treat certain skin disorders, including acne, and you can find it in a number of skin products, such as cleansers and toners. It can penetrate facial oils to get deep into pores and clean out dead skin cells. Salicylic acid is in the aspirin family, so it can also help reduce inflammation or redness. BHA, or beta hydroxy acid, is a form of salicylic acid and is used in some topical exfoliants to reverse signs of aging.

But salicylic acid is another no-no for pregnant women. High doses of the acid in its oral form have been shown in studies to cause birth defects and various pregnancy complications.

Again, doctors are being cautious by recommending that pregnant women avoid the topical use of salicylic acid. Small amounts applied to the skin — such as a salicylic acid-containing toner used once or twice a day — are considered safe, says Johnson.

But the concern is stronger about face and body peels containing salicylic acid. "This kind of 'soaking' in the ingredient is similar to taking one or more aspirin when pregnant," she explains.

"More product used equals more absorption into the bloodstream," adds Baumann. Always check with your doctor before having a peel treatment. Better yet, she advises, if you must have a peel, have it done professionally at your dermatologist's office. A dermatologist will know how to do it safely during pregnancy.

On the label:
Salicylic acid
Beta hydroxy acid
BHA

Note: Alpha hydroxy acids, sometimes listed as AHAs, glycolic acid, or lactic acid, are safe.

Bottom line:
Best to avoid
Jul 25, 2008, 2:58pm   #4
k
katkooty
i personally use all natural products now.. for stretch marks i use loccitane.. they have a 100% pure shea butter formula.. and sometimes i use pure almond oil... other than that, i put off facials or beauty products that i dont really need
Jul 25, 2008, 10:36pm   #5
lanasyogamama
What time is it?
I think this is covered by the retin a post, but Vitamin A is a no no.
Jul 26, 2008, 2:55pm   #6
dell
Lovin My Little Girl
I have just been using dove soap and witch hazel.
Jul 26, 2008, 3:35pm   #7
Demosthenes
It doesn't really fall in the skin-care category, but sunless tanners are also best to avoid because they haven't done any studies to show that it's safe during pregnancy.
Jul 27, 2008, 12:18am   #8
VPT
i ♥ blood oranges
Mineral make up - they don't get absorbed by the skin.
RareMinerals Blemish Therapy instead of salicylic acid or tea tree oil because it doesn't get absorbed.
I think lipsticks and lipglosses are the worst makeup because they get ingested (worse still if they're L'Oreal or Dior they might contain lead). I've started to use my lipglosses sparingly by blotting most of the color off. I'm also using organic Mylipstuff lip balms that contain no known harmful substances, and they heal chapped lips instantly.
Jul 27, 2008, 1:29pm   #9
ChanelMommy
<3
Def. stay away from Salicylic acid. When I was pregnant with my son I questioned my OB/GYN because I used makeup containing Salicylic acid and she said to stop using it while I was pregnant.
Jul 28, 2008, 3:54am   #10
VPT
i ♥ blood oranges
ON THE CONTRARY to the topic of discussion, I believe Olay line is safe to use for pregnant and nursing women.
See here.

Their Definity line has beta-hydroxy acid and their Total Effects Anti-Blemish cleanser contains salicylic acid albeit 2% to meet the guidelines for safety products for pregnant/nursing mothers. If in doubt stay away from these products but the rest of Olay should be fine.
Jul 28, 2008, 11:27am   #11
yobi
Thanks for the feedback! I heard that some essential oils are not safe, is it true?
Jul 28, 2008, 11:55am   #12
Mrs. MC
Maybe you could use aveeno baby products because they are safe for infants. I used Origins here and there but it contained essential oils so that was probably not so great. My kids are fine
Jul 28, 2008, 2:01pm   #13
ms.fashionista
H-Happy!
How about Neutrogena face wash and Neutrogena Clean body wash? They both have salicylic acid and I have been using them since and before I got preggers...
Aug 2, 2008, 3:05pm   #14
SW33TN3SS5420
V3RSAC3 QU33N
This has actually been a concern of mine as well since i am starting to break out more, they say its because I am "glowing" now I say I just look oily lol...I think this is a question I will discuss at my dr appt on tues!!!
Aug 4, 2008, 6:15pm   #15
ive_flipped
No more snow!
I am more confused by reading this lol what products ARE safe please list brand names if possible for face/body creams and make-up. I can't go without either lol

Are the broad spectrum sunscreens ok?
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >