Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

French Braiding Tool

POST A REPLY

Jun 2, 2010, 12:44am   #1
HauteMama
I feel like an idiot, but I cannot French braid my own hair. I understand the concept, but when I try to do it, it ends up looking very sad. I can do a standard three-strand English braid, but that's not the look I want.

About 7 or 8 years ago, there used to be a plastic tool sold to help a person French braid their hair. It was essentially a bar with a number of stubby finger-like projections on the top, each lined between the next with a foam to hold the hair. A person divided their hair into sections, inserted them into the slots, and then added a new strand in according to the directions. I may even still have that device, but the directions are long lost.

Anyway, my question is whether anyone has seen this device or tool anywhere or if there is another tool that helps the hair inept French braid (or Dutch braid) their own hair. I've seen a "sports braider" but I do not know how that works or whether it works. I know it remains in the hair, which seems odd. Any suggestions would be welcome!
Jun 2, 2010, 3:45am   #2
Sternchen
Yes yes! I remember this tool. Dunno what the name of it is though
Jun 2, 2010, 8:40am   #3
Kittie LaRoche
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Like this?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRENCH-BRAIDING-...item3f002c3e32

It's called EasyBraid
Jun 2, 2010, 3:49pm   #4
plushie
Bal & RM lover
That tool looks awesome! I have to get one. I love the way french braids look but rarely do them because they come out sloppy when I try :(

I love this sub-forum...so much great info!
Jun 2, 2010, 6:39pm   #5
HauteMama
Originally Posted by Kittie LaRoche
Like this?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRENCH-BRAIDING-...item3f002c3e32

It's called EasyBraid
YES! This is the tool, and it turns out that I actually still have it. However, as I had feared, I've lost the directions. Anyone know the slot orders? I suppose I can draw it and figure it out... hopefully!
Jun 2, 2010, 7:23pm   #6
missmustard
Prima Donna Assoluta
^^ Try this link instead. It has instructions below, and if you click on the images, you can see it large enough to print it out. Hope it helps!!

http://www.easybraid.com/instructions.htm
Jun 2, 2010, 7:56pm   #7
HauteMama
Thank you! The instructions were there in Kittie's post and I never saw them. Thanks for linking directly to them, missmustard. I have now printed them and will give this a go in the morning! Thank you guys SO MUCH!
Jun 2, 2010, 9:48pm   #8
mielikki55
Does the bottom of the french braid come out tight? That's always my problem...the bottom is loose and messy looking.
Jun 2, 2010, 10:27pm   #9
b
bellacass
Account Deactivated
LOL i feel your pain i cannot do it either and would definitely invest in something to get it right...
Jun 3, 2010, 9:06am   #10
bunnymasseuse
BunniesN'DaSun
I first learned how to do these on a barbie doll, got good enough at it then started trying it on myself. The only one I have prob with are the 4 and over strand braids, but over/unders are easy peazy these days.
Jun 3, 2010, 2:16pm   #11
plushie
Bal & RM lover
Originally Posted by mielikki55
Does the bottom of the french braid come out tight? That's always my problem...the bottom is loose and messy looking.
That's exactly my problem. I can get the top to look good but the bottom is never nice and tight and just gets worse as the day goes on.

Thanks for the instruction page missmustard, going to check it out now!
Jun 3, 2010, 3:39pm   #12
uhkiwi
update us with your experience! I would love to try this, can't do a French braid either
Jun 4, 2010, 1:00pm   #13
lushfashionista
This would be useful because I am so bad at french braiding!
Jun 4, 2010, 7:48pm   #14
HauteMama
YES! The tool (with the instructions posted) works well for me. The only thing I need to be careful of is to pull the strands tight and occasionally push the tool up. I also need to make sure to take small strands, otherwise it IS French braided, but looks silly/sloppy because it barely looks woven at all. It does get very slightly looser at the bottom, but that is mostly because the strands of hair get pulled up to join the braid/tool, and so when everything is done, it sags a bit. But I have seen this happen on French braids that are done without a tool, too. If a person is careful to use small pieces and pull them snugly, it isn't noticeable at all.

I've also found that practicing with the tool helps me better understand the non-tool using directions and why it is important to hold certain strands with your ring and pinkie fingers. I even tried (without the tool) a Dutch braid today. It was a complete and utter failure, but I at least understand the concept now. Perhaps with some practice things will get better. I believe it would be impossible to do a Dutch braid with the tool.

Thanks again for finding the directions! This board is a life-saver!
Jun 7, 2010, 11:25am   #15
n
ngaij03
for the ends, can't you just do like a normal 3 strand plait?

thats what i do near the very end, and i think it looks just fine! give it a go!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >