Home Shoes, Shoes, Shoes The Glass Slipper

tips for storing tall boots in a smaller closet?

POST A REPLY

Sep 5, 2011, 1:05pm   #1
from monsieur louie
Hey everyone, I thought I was going to move into a fab apartment with a friend but she ended up backing out last minute, so I nabbed a close apartment near my university, which is not exactly ideal. It is small and cramped, very thin walls, and two corner closets that aren't exactly tiny but not walk in. I will only have to deal with this till the summer next year (I keep telling myself) But I'm running into a huge problem on how to store my tall boots. They are flopping over and ruining themselves and I can't bear it anymore! I don't have the boxes and I would like to be able to see them instead of tucking them away, does anyone have any ideas on how I can properly store them? Thanks!
Sep 5, 2011, 1:10pm   #2
m
I've heard of people who take book shelves and adjust the boards to make room for the boots haha. i imagine they sell inserts for boots though so if nothing comes to mind just buy some inserts and have them neatly organized on the floor :/
Sep 5, 2011, 5:16pm   #3
Try getting some boot trees - plastic springy things - that go inside the boots and hold them in an upright position. Keeps them from creasing too much at the ankle and holds the shape of the calf. My wife uses these in all her boots. The only problem is over knee and higher boots that want to fold over the top of the boot tree - but we've never seen any specially made for those. They're probably about $10-$20 ea depending on design.

My wife's boots go all the way around the floor of the walk in closet and around another corner in the bedroom by her purse tree all standing at attention. I'm making some shadow box style shelves to show off her fanciest pairs up on the walls.
Sep 5, 2011, 6:07pm   #4
If you don't want to buy inserts, you can always use bottles. I have a couple of metal water bottles I rarely use (switched to diff bottle) and I just popped them inside my boots. I have one of those wire grid sets that I built a cube with 4 sections in, and then I put my boots next to them. Then I put my shoes into the cube. Mine isn't even in a closet- just up against a wall. Keeps everything together and neat.
Sep 5, 2011, 8:06pm   #5
I use empty wine bottles, they've worked well for years
Sep 5, 2011, 9:36pm   #6
t
Originally Posted by Beriloffun
I use empty wine bottles, they've worked well for years
I've also heard of girls using rolled up magazines.
Sep 5, 2011, 9:38pm   #7
Bal_RO_CÚline
oooh these are all really good ideas, keep 'em coming
Sep 6, 2011, 3:01pm   #8
born this way
I stuff mine and keep them in their boxes on the high shelf in the summer months, and in the cold months, I put a boot shaft in there and line them up on the floor.
Sep 6, 2011, 3:53pm   #9
I just stuff my boots with tissue paper, the shaft always stays up that way.
Sep 6, 2011, 3:58pm   #10
I use rolled up hand towels to stuff mine.
Sep 6, 2011, 5:08pm   #11

The Black D&G boots have the cheaper style boot tree in them. The brown Gianmarco Lorenzi's have a more expensive style and the last shows how they easily stand up leaning against something. They stay nice and crease free.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Shoes, Shoes, Shoes The Glass Slipper