Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Clarity enhanced/treated diamond engagement rings?

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Jul 16, 2007, 2:31pm   #1
2
Thread Starter
2manybags
Member
A friend of mine who's getting engaged mentioned she's getting a clarity enhanced/treated ring. It's a natural diamond, but clarity enhanced. I've heard of this before, but don't really know much about it. I advised her not to go in that direction, but maybe I was wrong to do so? Is it considered a bad thing if the ring is enhanced? Or does it really not matter?
Jul 16, 2007, 3:27pm   #2
FatsoFabulous's Avatar
FatsoFabulous
WHY...can't...I stop
AHHHHH... such a good question! SOMEONE please respond and teach us these things! I want to know more too!!!!
Jul 16, 2007, 3:46pm   #3
Rockst@r's Avatar
Rockst@r
Zeta lady forever!
A clarity enhanced diamond is not as valuable as a natural diamond that has minimal inclusions. Generally, they're not as desirable for this reason, and jewelers are required to disclose if diamonds have been treated. Diamonds have natural characteristics, which are inclusions (inside the diamond) and blemishes (outside the diamond, on the surface). They can be carbon deposits (black spots that can be seen by the naked eye up close), or feathers (white spots) among other types of "blemishes." Cracks can be filled to make a diamond look better. Now...is it a "bad thing"...not necessarily...it's a personal choice.
Jul 16, 2007, 4:16pm   #4
2
Thread Starter
2manybags
Member
Thank you for your reply Rockst@r!

So, when a diamond is treated and cracks are filled, does it alter the appearance of the diamond when you look at it? Does the diamond look odd when seen through a loupe? I understand that you take value away from the diamond when it's treated but does it also take away from the appearance in any way?

Also, are the diamonds that are treated generally bad diamonds that are just made to look good on the surface?
Jul 16, 2007, 4:46pm   #5
Rockst@r's Avatar
Rockst@r
Zeta lady forever!
You're quite welcome and you're exactly right! Treated diamonds are inferior diamonds that are made to look better to the naked eye. Depending on the type of treatment, it can be seen through a jeweler's loupe, and the stone can be compromised since the filler that's used in cracks can alter the way the facets in the stone take in and bounce back light (the "ooh it's sparkly" factor). The worst is when a diamond is coated (painted) to make it look like a fancy colored stone when it really isn't.
Jul 16, 2007, 7:40pm   #6
L
Littlesharon
Member
Ok, I will add to the conversation although so far all the info sounds spot on. One of the ways a diamond is enhansed is that it is lazer drilled to burn out black spots which would otherwise be visible to the naked eye, then the minute drilling is filled with a filler. I dont believe the actual price of the diamond for its grading is changed. The diamond is still the same cost as it would have been, the only difference is that it will appeal to more people as the blemishes are almost `liquid papered` out.

So what are the down falls. One negative is the fact that to reset the diamond extra care must be taken, and you must tell the setter because they have to be careful with how they handle the stone. But this is not huge, I know someone with an enhansed diamond and they have had it reset twice with no issues.
Another negative is that the lazer drillings interfere with the ability of the stone to produce fire and the stone might not be as reflective of light.

The positive is that you will be able to afford a stone that faces up clean and much bigger than otherwise.

Just want to add that enhancement does not increase the value of the stone it is still the same grade as before the work done, it just looks more valuable.

Ideally the best case sinareo would be a well cut diamond with one black spot that needs to be removed. It would then be a remarkable diamond. But if there is a snowstorm happening, even enhansement will only be able to do so much.
Jul 16, 2007, 7:41pm   #7
FatsoFabulous's Avatar
FatsoFabulous
WHY...can't...I stop
Rockst@r... you know your rocks. Thanks for the input. This is all so interesting.
Jul 16, 2007, 7:54pm   #8
oregonfanlisa's Avatar
oregonfanlisa
Cherokee H Princess
Excellent advice from Rockst@r! If I might add, the treatment isn't guaranteed forever, and can fail. Then you are left with the stone in it's original state, or worse. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Engagement rings take a beating. You would want something that could take the abuse and still look radiant! If I were to choose that kind of product, it would be in an earring or pendant.
Jul 16, 2007, 9:43pm   #9
Rockst@r's Avatar
Rockst@r
Zeta lady forever!
So much great (and accurate) info here. One final thing I'd like to add: In general, people prefer a larger stone that may be of an inferior quality, versus a smaller, more eye clean stone that has not been enhanced. I'd take a half carat VS1 any day over a 2 carat I2, but in my personal experience most folks just want the size. I've seen people go crazy over a large color tinged K colored stone that has carbon and inclusions galore with very little sparkle. In diamonds, it seems that bigger is almost always percieved as better. For that type of consumer, enhanced is the way to go.
Jul 16, 2007, 10:41pm   #10
L
Littlesharon
Member
Originally Posted by Rockst@r
So much great (and accurate) info here. One final thing I'd like to add: In general, people prefer a larger stone that may be of an inferior quality, versus a smaller, more eye clean stone that has not been enhanced. I'd take a half carat VS1 any day over a 2 carat I2, but in my personal experience most folks just want the size. I've seen people go crazy over a large color tinged K colored stone that has carbon and inclusions galore with very little sparkle. In diamonds, it seems that bigger is almost always percieved as better. For that type of consumer, enhanced is the way to go.
Good info. And I really feel for people who are buying a significant diamond because it really is a balancing act. eg size v. quality,v. color v. cut!!!! It takes awhile to get your bearings on what your priorities are.

I find that as you age, shrinkage sets in. I find that the younger gals are prouder to say they chose quality over size....whereas the older ones are wanting big rocks!

I think its also accurate to say that for any given size a color upgrade will effect the price more than a quality upgrade.

My current objective is to buy a 3 c. diamond that has been cut for fire and shows up eye white and eye clean!
Jul 16, 2007, 10:50pm   #11
oregonfanlisa's Avatar
oregonfanlisa
Cherokee H Princess
Smart lady!!! Cut, cut, cut!!! There is no point in having a diamond if it doesn't flash like a headlight.

Originally Posted by Littlesharon
My current objective is to buy a 3 c. diamond that has been cut for fire and shows up eye white and eye clean!
Jul 17, 2007, 12:41am   #12
Juneplum's Avatar
Juneplum
One Love ;)
Originally Posted by Rockst@r
A clarity enhanced diamond is not as valuable as a natural diamond that has minimal inclusions. Generally, they're not as desirable for this reason, and jewelers are required to disclose if diamonds have been treated. Diamonds have natural characteristics, which are inclusions (inside the diamond) and blemishes (outside the diamond, on the surface). They can be carbon deposits (black spots that can be seen by the naked eye up close), or feathers (white spots) among other types of "blemishes." Cracks can be filled to make a diamond look better. Now...is it a "bad thing"...not necessarily...it's a personal choice.

*bows down* well said! my husband is a jeweler and he says to tell you BRAVA!!!! you are so spot on about people oohing and aaahing big over quality.. the 3 ct stone you can see he little guy shoveling coal on the inside as opposed to the smaller 1 ct VS1 cut by an angel.. *sigh*
Jul 17, 2007, 3:03am   #13
L
Littlesharon
Member
Guys back to the topic, I thought I should say one more thing to clarify.

Some diamonds are not filled but just drilled. These drilled diamonds are not looked down on at all in the industry because the diamond is not being enhanced or treated with a foreign substance. These drilled diamonds can even have a certificate and are accepted by GIA to grade. So in a diamond that might thru chance have an unsightly black spot spoiling it, it can be drilled out. It is no different than a cutter using his diamond cutter to put an extra angle in the diamond. The diamond is still esentially 100% diamond.

Perhaps where a diamond is more frowned at is when it is artificially filled or covered with a substance. These diamonds are not accepted for grading by GIA.

Please keep in mind that drilling has been carried out for years and is not a new concept. Also, the result will depend on the diamond being drilled. For some it results in miricles and others not mucg difference.

Usually drilling is a win win as it allows the consumer to purchase a diamond that otherwise may have been out of their budget, and allows sellers to sell diamonds that may have been unsellable.
Jul 17, 2007, 3:05am   #14
L
Littlesharon
Member
Originally Posted by Juneplum
*bows down* well said! my husband is a jeweler and he says to tell you BRAVA!!!! you are so spot on about people oohing and aaahing big over quality.. the 3 ct stone you can see he little guy shoveling coal on the inside as opposed to the smaller 1 ct VS1 cut by an angel.. *sigh*
Agree 100%!
Jul 17, 2007, 3:57am   #15
Sammyjoe's Avatar
Sammyjoe
Soap Maker
Thanks for the information! Its a very interesting topic!x
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools