Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Macy's For Fine Jewelry

POST A REPLY

Jan 12, 2010, 2:32pm   #1
juicyincouture
Hey everyone I am starting to take my jewelry collecting very seriously. I'm thinking about going to Macy's to check out their fine jewelry selection this week to look at a pair of emerald earrings. Does anyone here shop there for their items? As I recall my very first fine purchase was from Macy's about six years ago. Majority of my gold jewelry my mom bought me as a child came from there as well plus my grandma + aunts are very heavy into collecting 14k gold and precious stones which quite a few were bought there. Some feedback please?
Jan 12, 2010, 3:06pm   #2
D
Dolce
Most of my jewelry comes from Macy's because quite honestly, it's affordable. :lol: They're prices are usually really good (especially when they run they're 30% + 20% + 20% off sales) and I haven't been disappointed with the quality at all and I always get compliments on certain pieces. They have both certified and uncertified diamonds so the choice is yours depending on your price range and all.

They also have something where if you spend over $2500 on fine jewelry you're able to upgrade it at some point if you choose to do so. I don't know the details on that because I've never done the upgrade.
Jan 12, 2010, 3:53pm   #3
smooches
I've admired the jewlery in the catalogs Macy's sends out but never bought because their prices seem high for what you get. Depending on if you are in a major city with a "jewlery district" you can get better prices there.
Jan 12, 2010, 4:14pm   #4
juicyincouture
alright thank you. i live in new york city so the deals are prob good i'll check out herald square!
Jan 12, 2010, 5:38pm   #5
gabz
When in NYC I love jewellers on fifth
Jan 12, 2010, 8:59pm   #6
g
grammyr
Grandma
I'd avoid places like Macy's. If the prices are good, then the stuff is usually junk. You can look there to see what you like then go to a privately owned store and get the same thing made. Usually the price and quality will be much better. Macy's might have a few pieces worth having, but in general, it's not a great place toget quality pieces.
Jan 12, 2010, 10:32pm   #7
schadenfreude
really
Grossly overpriced, IMO.
Jan 12, 2010, 11:14pm   #8
juicyincouture
darn! that stinks.
Jan 13, 2010, 12:31am   #9
Junkenpo
CHOOSE KINDNESS
I don't consider macy*s fine jewelry. Pretty, yes. Fine, no. Their pieces tend to be lighter, more fragile, less symmetrical, & generally not as well constructed.

I've got one piece that I bought from macy*s simply becuase i liked the look & it was on clearance sale. Original retail tag said $1200, but I think I paid just under $300 for it. Big difference, very telling if they can afford to mark stuff down that much.

It's actually an 18k necklace with a pendant with 2 simple, pretty flowers with 2 teeny diamonds at the center of the flowers. The gold is well done, but under a loupe it's obvious the diamonds have flaws & aren't as well cut as they could be. Love the look, but it's not fine jewelry.
Jan 13, 2010, 7:55am   #10
dmitchell15
I love Macys for jewelry. I think it depends on what you buy. I usually buy my LeVian pieces from Macys. Those pieces are well made and gorgeous. I think you just need to catch them on sale and consider exactly what you are buying. I don't buy diamonds (partly, because I'm not a big fan of diamonds *throws tomatos*), but I love colored gemstones. I buy semi precious stones from Macys. So, if you are interested in diamonds, I would recommend that you look elsewhere. If you are looking for semi precious stones Macys is good place to go. Now pearls, I would recommend that you go to a store that specializes in pearls. I don't really buy pearls from Macys because they don't specialize in pearls. I want my pearls to be of great quality. I have found a local place that sells great pearls for wonderful prices. So, do your research before jewelry shopping.
Jan 13, 2010, 12:17pm   #11
achicken
I own a couple 14K pieces from Macy's.... They were deeply discounted off their reg retail, otherwise, i would not have purchased them. The quality on the pieces I have is OK.
I think you can find better quality gemstone jewelry at other places, and probably pay less for it.
Jan 13, 2010, 1:04pm   #12
dolllover
It's showtime!
I got an amazing LeVian ring at Macy's on sale that I wouldn't be able to touch for that price at a jewlers. If you look they have nice pieces on sale for great prices.
Jan 13, 2010, 1:13pm   #13
juicyincouture
Originally Posted by dmitchell15
I love Macys for jewelry. I think it depends on what you buy. I usually buy my LeVian pieces from Macys. Those pieces are well made and gorgeous. I think you just need to catch them on sale and consider exactly what you are buying. I don't buy diamonds (partly, because I'm not a big fan of diamonds *throws tomatos*), but I love colored gemstones. I buy semi precious stones from Macys. So, if you are interested in diamonds, I would recommend that you look elsewhere. If you are looking for semi precious stones Macys is good place to go. Now pearls, I would recommend that you go to a store that specializes in pearls. I don't really buy pearls from Macys because they don't specialize in pearls. I want my pearls to be of great quality. I have found a local place that sells great pearls for wonderful prices. So, do your research before jewelry shopping.
i'm not the biggest diamond fan either. i'm actually looking for a pair of tiny emerald studs and a few gold pieces that's about it. what's the difference btw semi-precious and precious ?
Jan 13, 2010, 10:09pm   #14
dmitchell15
Originally Posted by juicyincouture
i'm not the biggest diamond fan either. i'm actually looking for a pair of tiny emerald studs and a few gold pieces that's about it. what's the difference btw semi-precious and precious ?
This is taken from Wikepedia:

[edit] Characteristics and classification

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/Spanish_jewellery-Gold_and_emerald_pendant_at_VAM-01.jpg/140px-Spanish_jewellery-Gold_and_emerald_pendant_at_VAM-01.jpg bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/magnify-clip.png
Spanish emerald and gold pendant at Victoria and Albert Museum.

The traditional classification in the West, which goes back to the Ancient Greeks, begins with a distinction between precious and semi-precious stones; similar distinctions are made in other cultures. The precious stones are diamond, ruby, emerald and sapphire, with all other gemstones being semi-precious.[2] This distinction is unscientific and reflects the rarity of the respective stones in ancient times, as well as their quality: all are translucent with fine color in their purest forms, except for the colorless diamond, and very hard,[3] with hardnesses of 8-10 on the Mohs scale. Other stones are classified by their color, translucency and hardness. The traditional distinction does not necessarily reflect modern values, for example, while garnets are relatively inexpensive, a green garnet called Tsavorite, can be far more valuable than a mid-quality emerald.[4] Another unscientific term for semi-precious gemstones used in art history and archaeology is hardstone.
Jan 14, 2010, 12:08am   #15
rubyjuls
♥Rosemary♥
I have a number of gorgeous jewelry items I've gotten from Macy's over the years. They have some beautiful items that are excellent quality and they often have great sales. I have a lot of ruby pieces from them, some rainbow sapphire pieces and also several diamond pieces. Of course, like anyplace nowadays some items are better quality than others. You just need to know what you are looking for/at when you shop around.

They always have a big fine jewelry sale around my birthday in the summer and I have picked up something many times then. You can also get great deals during Friends & Family since it often coincides with a fine jewelry sale. I got a few items during their most recent F&F.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >