Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Tiffany e-ring ?s

POST A REPLY

May 25, 2010, 8:18am   #1
P
Phillyfan
There have been many Tiffany engagement threads lately. Perhaps it is that time of year! Anyway several of us on TPF are actively pursuing getting one in the near future. Perhaps others can take the time to answer a few ?s. Thanks so much!

1) How many years have you had your Tiffany e-ring?
2) Would you ever consider upgrading?
3) If you already upgraded - how many years after receiving the original?
4) What shape/setting do you have?
5) If you could do it all over, would you choose the same or a different design and if so, what would you get?
6) Don't answer if too personal! - What price range and size range is your stone?
May 25, 2010, 8:43am   #2
jordanjordan
I'm thinking about one myself... can I add a question?

7) Was it worth it to get the Tiffany's name or do you sometimes wish you had gotten a bigger, no name ring?
May 25, 2010, 9:53am   #3
P
Phillyfan
I already have a 1.25 round diamond e-ring that is not Tiffanys. The specs are great. But when I put it next to any of the Tiffany diamonds, there is no comparison. I'm not a jeweler and my eyes for these things are not the best. So if I can see the difference with my unprofessional experience - believe me - it is quite noticeable. Therefore I'm saving for a 2nd e-ring because I'm so in love with the Tiffany ones. But like all my luxury purchases, I have to plain and wait. It might not be for 6 months! In the meantime, I will do plenty of research and get a good education!
May 26, 2010, 2:21pm   #4
N
NY Village Girl
1) I've had my ring for 2.5 yrs
2) Yes, I would upgrade
3) N/A - haven't upgraded, but hope to ASAP
4) RB solitaire
5) I would choose the same style 1,000 times over
6) N/A
7) It was absolutely worth it to me for my DH to pay a premium for the Tiffany ring, no regrets about that. I don't wear a lot of jewelry, so I don't mind splurging on individual pieces, especially when it comes to my engagement ring. My only wish is that my husband had gotten me a larger carat size, as my ring was well within our means, and very modest relative to our income. (My husband is from the midwest and tends to be very modest with his spending). However, I plan to upgrade to a larger carat size at some point, hopefully soon.
May 26, 2010, 2:44pm   #5
P
Phillyfan
Thanks NY Village Girl to responding! What carat range are you hoping to upgrade to?
May 26, 2010, 3:14pm   #6
N
NY Village Girl
No problem. I would like to upgrade to either 2 or 3 carats (most likely 2 carats, as that is a nice substantial size, but possibly 3). My one concern, aside from the significant price difference between 2 and 3 carats, is that I am very active (do a lot of yoga, pilates, etc), and I would worry about 3 carats being too big for gym and everyday wear, as I do not like to take off my rings, under any circumstances. If anyone has opinions on this (if 3 carat stone is fine for everyday, all-the-time wear), feel free to correct me.
May 26, 2010, 4:49pm   #7
Gimmethebag
Gimme Gimme Gimme
My future MIL has a large diamond (over 3 carats) and does everything with her ring on. She also lives a very active lifestyle and hasn't had any problems so far. They contemplated upgrading her to a 5 carat even, but the jeweler (that thankfully, we did not go to for my engagement ring) went back on his word about allowing her to trade in her current diamond towards the upgrade so she went to another jeweler and got a RHR with a different diamond shape.

From talking about rings with her, I got the sense that you have to get used to wearing it but then you kind of forget you've had it on your hand the entire time. Hth!
May 26, 2010, 6:56pm   #8
sarafina77
Wool Vixen
1) How many years have you had your Tiffany e-ring? - received in March this year
2) Would you ever consider upgrading? - it WAS my upgrade. :) Original ring was vintage, .40 mine cut diamond
3) If you already upgraded - how many years after receiving the original? 4
4) What shape/setting do you have? The original round 6-prong
5) If you could do it all over, would you choose the same or a different design and if so, what would you get? Yep! I am in love with it.
6) Don't answer if too personal! - What price range and size range is your stone? Stone is .72 carats.

:)

*edit* add
7) I do think it was worth it - it truly is prettier than all of my other diamonds, I honestly can tell the difference in fire. The brilliant cut is worth it, IMO!

I can't even IMAGINE a 2 ct Tiffany diamond!
May 26, 2010, 10:11pm   #9
Kissmark
1) How many years have you had your Tiffany e-ring? 3
2) Would you ever consider upgrading? yes
4) What shape/setting do you have? classic 6 prong round
5) If you could do it all over, would you choose the same or a different design and if so, what would you get? same
6) Don't answer if too personal! - What price range and size range is your stone? :)
7) Was it worth it to get the Tiffany's name or do you sometimes wish you had gotten a bigger, no name ring? it was worth it to me and i would never wish that I had received a no name ring but bigger rock. Im pretty sure majority of the ladies who has a Tiffany's ering would agree w/ me
May 27, 2010, 3:08pm   #10
lilneko69
Hi, I'm new here but I think I can answer some of your questions.

1) How many years have you had your Tiffany e-ring? 2 years
2) Would you ever consider upgrading? yes, hopefully in 3 years
4) What shape/setting do you have? Tiffany Novo with 2 Novo bands as well
5) If you could do it all over, would you choose the same or a different design and if so, what would you get? Yes, yes , yes! I love how classic it looks but also modern and sparkles like crazy
6) Don't answer if too personal! - What price range and size range is your stone? My ring size is 2.5 (yes, I know they don't make rings that small) so my center stone is .7 ct. My husband actually pushed me towards the 1ct and more because he felt that was the "right" size to get, but it looks ginormous on my hand. I think now that I'm used to wearing it everyday, I would like a larger one, but definitely still under 2ct.
7) Was it worth it to get the Tiffany's name or do you sometimes wish you had gotten a bigger, no name ring? It was worth it because of the craftsmanship and the service. I've seen jewelers in the Diamond District copy the Novo and it doesn't even come close to the sparkle of my ring.
May 27, 2010, 5:41pm   #11
elle tee
1) How many years have you had your Tiffany e-ring? About 9 months
2) Would you ever consider upgrading? I'm happy with my ring (I should be, I picked it out myself!), but I never say never :)
4) What shape/setting do you have? Ribbon setting (round brilliant diamond)
5) If you could do it all over, would you choose the same or a different design and if so, what would you get? I would absolutely pick the same design. I shopped for rings for a long time, and at many different jewelers. The Ribbon was the only ring I truly fell in love with that was also within my budget, so it was a natural choice for me.
6) Don't answer if too personal! - What price range and size range is your stone? 0.71 cts center stone/1.01 total.
7) Was it worth it to get the Tiffany's name or do you sometimes wish you had gotten a bigger, no name ring? Well, I bought from a trusted *bay seller at about a 30% discount, so I didn't pay as much of a premium for the name as if I had bought directly from Tiffany's, although I did pay some mark up for the name even with the discount. That being said, I love my ring- it's classic but modern and so *me*! I could have had a bigger stone if I had gone elsewhere, but the design have been more generic. The Ribbon design is very distinctive and I haven't seen many rings like mine. So, no, I don't wish I had bought elsewhere to get a bigger stone.
May 29, 2010, 7:31am   #12
AntiqueShopper
1. I had my ring since February 4th (to be exact) :)
2. I have a 1.02 tiffany classic, and I would not want to upgrade my ring. I want to keep the ring because I love it and for sentimental value. But, if someone was to give me a 2 ct tiffany anything, I would not turn it away :).
3. N/A
4. Tiffany Classic
5. I would choose the same ring. It has been the ring that I have wanted since I was a child. There is something appealing about owning something that has been in design since 1886. Also, it is the only ring my fiance liked the look of. He did not like the Cartier 1895, anything from Saks, Ross Simons, or the other tiffany rings (thought they were too flashy- he is a simple guy). So, it was the perfect fit.
6. 1.02 F colored- other rings (similar size) we looked at ranged in price from $10.000-12,000.
7. It was totally worth getting the name brand. I grew up in household where my mother had bigger stones but no name brand. Her stones ranged in color from D-G/H. My ring seems to sparkle more than any of hers. She definately has mentioned to me numerous times how much she likes my ring (but that is what moms do :) ) Finally, I cannot tell you how many compliments I receive on my ring. I try to hide it, but still people stop me to compliment me. So, to answer your questions, yes it is worth it. I love my ring, and I constantly look at it. If you can buy a ring that you are happy with the size, then go for it.

Happy shopping!
May 29, 2010, 5:52pm   #13
trustlove
I'm in the process of buying the Tiffany Legacy and was just curious what color and clarity diamond did you ladies get?
May 30, 2010, 3:16pm   #14
a
audiobahn
Hi guys,

I am looking into buying an engagement ring for my gf. I am looking for a nice and simple, platinum solitaire. I've been searching onto the net for rings and every time the same thing pops up everywhere. Tiffany!

Everyone says it's the best of the best, and I don't mind paying a bit more to get a better build quality and brilliance. Based on the indicative prices on their website I can afford a 0.5ct - 0.75ct (Pushing it a bit on this end).

1.) Do you think a 0.5ct is tiny?
2.) I am assuming the indicative price on their website is for the cheapest diamond they have available. Do you know what clarity diamonds Tiffany usually carry?

Thanks.
May 30, 2010, 3:47pm   #15
c
coconut32
I love this thread! I have always wanted a Tiffany e-ring, but lately have been considering no-name to get a bigger rock. After reading this, I know in my heart that I will never be happy if I don't get the Tiffany ring. I can only get 0.75-1 carat this way and I'm going to have to wait longer to get it, but at least I know I will love it! I am having a hard time deciding on the setting because I love sooo many of Tiffany's designs, but I am thinking the Novo.

audiobahn - It really depends on your future fiance's lifestyle, style, and finger size. To me, 0.5 is a little bit small even though I have small fingers. 0.75 is much more preferable to me. However, the Tiffany's diamonds do seem to have a certain sparkle that makes them look bigger than they are! I may even consider getting 0.5 Tiffany ring so that I can have it sooner and then upgrade later on. I think they have some kind of upgrade program...can anymore elaborate on that? And yes I would say the price listed on the website is the lowest end because it says "starting at". Tiffany's carries VS2 or better diamonds (I think...someone correct me if I'm wrong) and I colour or better, so anything will be nice!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >