Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

100% Rayon - Handwash or Dry Clean

POST A REPLY

Sep 26, 2008, 1:04pm   #1
C
CrazyBeautifulU
I know there was a thread about how people wash their cashmere. I wanted to know how everyone washes their 100% rayon garments. Handwash? Dry clean? Other, if so describe?

Thanks!
Sep 26, 2008, 8:33pm   #2
shoulderache
Hand wash with woolite unless it is a color that will likely bleed like black or red. It really depends on the garment.
May 19, 2009, 6:42pm   #3
bbarry
anyone else with suggestions....

i have a dress that is 100% rayon and it says DRY CLEAN ONLY.

has anyone tried otherwise?? like hand washing with woolite??

THANK YOU!
May 20, 2009, 12:57am   #4
Charlie
I handwash rayon and silk. No accidents so far, woolite (just a bit) mix with cold water works for me.
May 20, 2009, 1:02am   #5
Charlie
From Ehow

Quote:
Step 1
Always read the garment's care label. If you attempt to wash a rayon that isn't washable it will shrink, stretch and bleed dyes all over. It will not be wearable again; so be sure to double-check the instructions.

Step 2
Wash all rayon by hand. It gets very vulnerable to damage when it's wet so the washing machine's agitation alone could ruin it.

Step 3
Wash in cool or tepid water with a detergent made for hand washing. Gently squeeze the soapsuds into the fabric. Rinse thoroughly in cool water.

Step 4
Never wring, twist or bunch up rayon. Shake it out gently and smooth out the wrinkles with your hands.

Step 5
Hang your garment on a plastic or padded hanger to dry. Wire hangers will leave rust spots on it. If it could lose it's shape, you can dry it flat. It will dry best on a drying rack this way rather than on a towel if you have one.

Step 6 Iron all rayon material inside out to prevent it from shining. Use low heat and press it while it is slightly damp to ease the wrinkling. If you must touch up the right side of the garment, cover it with a cloth first.
From another site

Quote:
Rayon.
Can it be machine washed?

That is the question!
The answer is yes, but...
Rayon is not as sturdy a fabric as cotton and will not stand up to the same level of abuse that we put cotton T-shirts and jeans through. If you put a rayon dress through a washer/dryer in a load with say, jeans, then in the tumbling, the jeans will rub and pull on the dress's seams. If the dress has ties or straps, they will get tangled in the jeans and other items and pull and tear the seams. If you machine wash rayon items alone or better yet in a net bag, then the rayon item will hold up just fine.
Best of all is hand washing and line drying, which avoids the issue entirely, and is what we recommend.
Also, rayon is weaker when it is wet than when it is dry. We used full strength bleach on some black rayon to discharge it and rinsed it immediately after it discharged for a minute or two - both the discharged areas and the untouched black areas ripped very easily in one direction while wet. After the fabric was dry, it did not rip, even where bleached. Conclusion: You have to treat WET rayon very carefully, and it is not the discharging (if done properly) that is making the fabric weak. You have to support the whole garment if you are going to lift it out of a dyebath wet. You can't just grab part of it with a stick or some other object.
We recommend hand washing & line drying Rayon clothing, and handling wet rayon with extra care.
Quote:
Tips & Warnings:
• Be sure to iron rayon while it's still damp. It will make the job much easier.
• Never iron rayon right side out without a pressing cloth to protect it. Rayon will gain a shine to it if you iron it directly. Either iron the inside of the garment or use a pressing cloth on the outside.
May 25, 2010, 10:11am   #6
~bastet
My washing machine doesn't have an agitator sticking up in the middle. I've wondered if I can use its hand wash setting on rayon clothing since there is no agitator. But, I'm scared of ruining it. Maybe I'll try it on an older, cheaper piece so if something goes wrong, I won't feel awful. I hate dry cleaning my clothes, all those nasty chemicals!
May 25, 2010, 10:14am   #7
HauteMama
I once handwashed a 100% rayon shirt in cold water with Woolite and hung it to dry. It shrunk so terribly that I could no longer wear it. Ever since then I've been overly cautious and only dry-cleaned 100% rayon items. I hate the chemicals, too, so I generally try not to buy rayon unless the item is a must-have.
May 26, 2010, 7:56am   #8
c
cosy13
DRY CLEAN!!!! often the manufacturers don't wash the material before they sew it together and it will SHRINK!!!
don't take the chance unless you can afford for it to shrink a bit
May 26, 2010, 10:41am   #9
olialm1
windy city
Damn I just recently bought a 100% rayon tank top. I'm scared to even put it near water after reading what Hautemama said.
May 26, 2010, 8:11pm   #10
miss_ritz
Weird! I have a cheap rayon top from Guess and I stuck it in one of the lingerie mesh bags and put it in the washer with the rest of my colors. Laid flat to dry and it came out perfect. I wouldn't do it for rayon I care about though
May 28, 2010, 6:14pm   #11
shoppingislove
I dry clean my rayon items now. I had handwashed one of my rayon tops and the color came out and left a nasty streak.
May 29, 2010, 4:32pm   #12
Q
QueenMaa
I use the hand wash feature on my washing machine. I just put it on hand wash. Water cold, and I drip dry it.
Jun 24, 2011, 10:29am   #13
R
Randa53
Welp kiddo, I just washed some clothes that said dry clean only on them. One of them was a dress that I absolutely love that says 100% Rayon and the other one is a fine cotton mixed with something else. It says to wash that one on hand only. I put them both in the machine ( I have the front load washers) and put it on the hand washable cycle, used Woolite for them and then hung them out. NO ISSUES so far. This was my third time washing the Navy dress. The other dress is a print dress with white and other colors in it. So far so good like I said. I will come back and let you know after they dry. I am wearing one of them @ 3 and the other one tonight. I live in Houston,TX so you know it is hot as a son of a gun out here!
Aug 13, 2011, 9:18pm   #14
sdkitty
I bought a rayon top today. It says dry clean only but I''m tempted to wash on gently and lay flat to dry. How did yours come out Randa?
Originally Posted by Randa53
Welp kiddo, I just washed some clothes that said dry clean only on them. One of them was a dress that I absolutely love that says 100% Rayon and the other one is a fine cotton mixed with something else. It says to wash that one on hand only. I put them both in the machine ( I have the front load washers) and put it on the hand washable cycle, used Woolite for them and then hung them out. NO ISSUES so far. This was my third time washing the Navy dress. The other dress is a print dress with white and other colors in it. So far so good like I said. I will come back and let you know after they dry. I am wearing one of them @ 3 and the other one tonight. I live in Houston,TX so you know it is hot as a son of a gun out here!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >