Home The Playground Up to the Minute...

Nude photo gets Bothell HS cheerleader kicked off squad

POST A REPLY

Dec 7, 2008, 2:47am   #1
Quote:

10:55 PM PST on Friday, December 5, 2008

By MIMI JUNG / KING 5 News

BOTHELL, Wash. -- A Bothell High School cheerleader has been kicked off the squad after someone sent a naked photo of her in a text message.

Now her parents are suing, saying the school district is going too far in punishing their daughter and for mishandling the case.

"It's something that happened in my house. It's not an illegal activity," said Ed Nielsen, the 16-year-old’s father.

Despite that, he admits it was a lapse in judgment.

The photo of his naked daughter was taken using her friend’s cell phone. It somehow was accidentally sent to students at Bothell High School, including members of the football team.

"The image in question was neither taken by my daughter nor was it forwarded by my daughter," said Nielsen.

After discovering the photo, the Northshore School District suspended the girl from the cheerleading squad for the rest of the school year.

"And to me, it's outrageous that a government would come in and attempt to punish my daughter or myself for activities -- legal activities -- that we do in our own home," said Nielsen.

So the Nielsens are suing the district, upset that the ones who received the photo have gone unpunished.

"We think it is just as improper to have possession of these photos as it is to have created them," said attorney Matthew King.

They also claim the district had the photo for weeks without ever notifying police.

The school district’s attorney believes even though the naked photo was taken off campus, it was a clear violation of the athletic code.

"They all knew what the athletic conduct policy was and, whether or not this happened on campus or off campus, it was certainly unbecoming of somebody in athletic program," said attorney Mike Patterson.

In a separate incident, another cheerleader was suspended from the squad for 30 days after a naked photo of her taken three years ago was sent to her boyfriend and later sent to all of his friends. Now, her parents are suing as well in what is shaping up to be a nasty battle between two sets of parents and the school district.

I'm a little confused about the bolded parts. Is the father saying he knew about the nude pics of his 16 year old daughter and either took them or condoned it?

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stor....35a40fe7.html
Dec 7, 2008, 3:22am   #2
wow, haha, I know where Bothell HS is, lol.

But seriously, what is the father talking about? She was kicked off the squad for having nude pics sent around, which is evidently against policy. Why is he talking about illegal activities and governments like shes being charged with a crime?
Dec 7, 2008, 7:13am   #3
I agree with that attorney. The ones who are in possession of the photos should be punished as well.
Dec 7, 2008, 7:18am   #4
My question refers to the two quotes from the father.

Quote:
"It's something that happened in my house. It's not an illegal activity," said Ed Nielsen, the 16-year-old’s father.

"And to me, it's outrageous that a government would come in and attempt to punish my daughter or myself for activities -- legal activities -- that we do in our own home," said Nielsen.
Is he saying he doesn't see anything illegal about someone taking nude photos of his 16 year old daughter as long as it was done inside their own home?

Or is he saying something else?
Dec 7, 2008, 9:04am   #5
I got the impression he was saying that things that go on in his home are separate from what activity is punishable by the school because it didn't occur on school grounds and was not related to the school in any way. I can kind of understand his point.
Dec 7, 2008, 9:25am   #6
I Bleed Georgia Red
Originally Posted by nathansgirl1908
I got the impression he was saying that things that go on in his home are separate from what activity is punishable by the school because it didn't occur on school grounds and was not related to the school in any way. I can kind of understand his point.
Yeah, I think that's what he's trying to get at, although I don't think he expressed it very well.

From what I remember of the athletes in high school, both male and female, a lot of them were badly behaved. Particularly the male ones - lots of drinking and other teenage debauchery. The fact that they're punishing a female student for a picture she didn't take, didn't distribute, and was probably very embarrassing for her when it came out seems kinda sexist to me - I doubt the male athletes are punished as stringently for their questionable hobbies. I know the ones in my high school weren't, and that seems to be typical of most schools. Obviously the article doesn't address this issue, but if this is an average high school, I doubt the rules are enforced fairly. Male athletes get away with a lot, typically.
Dec 7, 2008, 9:43am   #7
DROP DEAD RED
if it were my daughter I would kick her ***!!!
Dec 7, 2008, 9:59am   #8
Originally Posted by amanda
Yeah, I think that's what he's trying to get at, although I don't think he expressed it very well.

From what I remember of the athletes in high school, both male and female, a lot of them were badly behaved. Particularly the male ones - lots of drinking and other teenage debauchery. The fact that they're punishing a female student for a picture she didn't take, didn't distribute, and was probably very embarrassing for her when it came out seems kinda sexist to me - I doubt the male athletes are punished as stringently for their questionable hobbies. I know the ones in my high school weren't, and that seems to be typical of most schools. Obviously the article doesn't address this issue, but if this is an average high school, I doubt the rules are enforced fairly. Male athletes get away with a lot, typically.
I know. Isn't it sickening? I think it's like that all across the board...perhaps even worse on the college level.

I feel bad for her. How humiliating.
Dec 7, 2008, 10:10am   #9
I feel bad for the poor girl, shes probably sooo mortified. I totally feel like shes the victim here. I also don't think her punishment should be through the school, In my opinion, once the school found the photos they should have contacted the girls parents and let them deal with it. This now involves the whole school.

I hope the parents have the decency to let her switch schools if she wants to.
Dec 7, 2008, 11:14am   #10
What is it with teenage girls and nude pics today? You would think people would learn that they usually end up backfiring.
Dec 8, 2008, 12:51am   #11
-+-+-+-+-+-
"Accidentally sent?" Yeah, right.
Dec 8, 2008, 1:42am   #12
I don't feel sorry for the girl. If you're going to take a nude photo, you better be prepared for the possible consequences.

And I'm pretty sure in my high school, the male athletes would've been punished just the same. They had strict guidelines if they wanted to stay on their teams. Although I can't speak for the likelihood of the football team taking nude photos of each other and passing them around school.
Dec 8, 2008, 1:44am   #13
I actually feel sorry for the poor girl. I agree with some of the posts above that she's actually the victim. And ironically, she's the one who got punished..
Dec 8, 2008, 1:48am   #14
Originally Posted by bisousx
Although I can't speak for the likelihood of the football team taking nude photos of each other and passing them around school.
Always had my suspicions of jocks.
Dec 8, 2008, 8:43am   #15
what is the father talking about?

Did HE take the photo?
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Up to the Minute...